Thursday, March 18, 2010

Response to (nostalgia)

I found (nostalgia) to be very engaging. It actively seeks to prevent the viewer from tuning out and in throughout it the way that Wavelength did. I did not realize that he was describing the next photograph until he reached the photo of the smoke rings. Before I figured it out I just watched the film like I would a video installation in an art museum. In the film Hollis Frampton places his old photographs on a hot plate and burns them, Frampton is using his new technology to record the destruction of the works from his older technology. It wasn't until I started to get bored watching the burn pattern form on the photos that I realized he was not describing the image I was watching. Once I clued in that Frampton was discussing the next photo the film became more interesting. The twist was simple and still managed to make the film much more engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment